I’m looking to reconnect with any relatives of the Medine family from DeKalb County, Illinois!
This semester, I took an online Genealogy course at University of Illinois with genealogist Nicole W. Miller. I feel like I learned so much about developing trends in genealogy, and I developed better practices for researching and sourcing my own family history. One of my accomplishments was writing a formal compiled genealogy for the Medine family. I realized that there are still some close Medine cousins that I know very little about! I would love to reconnect and share family stories with their descendants. If you are descended from any of the relatives listed below, please connect with me by commenting on this post! I know the basic information for each of these people, but I’d love to add more to their biographies! I will definitely share the final genealogy paper with you!
- Ralph/Harry Shaffer, born about 1913, Illinois. Son of Roy and Julia (Medine) Shaffer. He likely grew up in DeKalb, Illinois, and I believe that he lived in Chicago in 1943. No further information.
- Leona G. Bowen, born 16 September 1913 in Mayfield, DeKalb County, Illinois and died 4 February 1975 in Sycamore. Daughter of Jesse Scott and Augusta (Medine) Bowen. She married Melvin Ernest Voltz on 25 November 1933 in Elgin, Kane County, Illinois. He was born 27 October 1909 in Illinois and died on 29 October 1983 in Wisconsin.
- Donald M. Bowen, born 18 November 1916, Sycamore; died 9 December 1989 DeKalb County, Illinois. Son ofJesse Scott and Augusta (Medine) Bowen. He married (1) Edna Eddy on 15 June 1946 and (2) Teresa Mary deRin on 2 September 1949 in Geneva, Kane County, Illinois. Teresa was born 17 January 1921 in DeKalb, the daughter of Anthony and Sylvia deRin, and she died 26 May 1988.
- Helen M. Bowen, born 11 July 1920, Mayfield; died 27 July 1949, Elgin, Kane County, Illinois. Daughter of Jesse Scott and Augusta (Medine) Bowen. She married Charles Joseph Leonard on 25 April 1940 in Dubuque, Iowa. He was born 25 April 1912 in Illinois to James and Mary Leonard, and died 26 December 1993 in Van Nuys, California.
- James Leonard Medine, born 30 June 1924, Genoa, Illinois; died 11 December 1944 in France. Son of Fred and Lillian Kleona (Leonard) Medine. He served in the military in WWII and was killed in action.
I will also be writing a compiled genealogy for Gustaf Medine’s siblings who also settled in DeKalb County, Illinois. They are all the children of Andreas Danielsson and Lena Stina Svensdottr, born in Smoland, Sweden, and emigrated here in the 1880’s. Their original last name was Andreasson, and they all changed it to Medine when they arrived in Illinois. Please contact me if you have any additional information about the following individuals! Thank you!
- Peter Sven Medine was born 9 June 1858 in Mistelås, Kronoberg County, Sweden, and died 12 January 1930 in Sycamore, Illinois. He married Mathilda Johnson (1861-1925) in DeKalb County, Illinois on 9 December 1887. They had four children, all born in DeKalb County: Harry William Medine (1888-1964), Arthur Albert Medine (1890-1972), Carl Edward Medine (1894-1987) and Ernest Glenn Medine (1900-1991).
- Mary/Maria Medine was born 1 May 1856 in Mistelås, Kronoberg County, Sweden, and died 27 Mar 1940 in Sycamore, Illinois. She had one daughter who was born in Sweden, Amanda Helena Medine (1882-1953), who married Alfred A. Reed and Edward Castenson. In 1890, Mary married Andrew Turkelson (1834-1910) in Illinois, and they had three sons: John William Turkelson (1892-1953), Rienhold Turkelson (1895-1910) and Carl Victor Turkelson (1897-1970).
- Helen Medine was born 1 March 1863 in Mistelås, Kronoberg County, Sweden, and died 15 November 1948 in Maywood, Cook County, Illinois. In 1886, she married Andrew Elmberg (1851-1924). They had one daughter, Maud Victoria Elmberg (1888-1967). Helen later married Herman H. Phillips (1867-1943).
- Christine Medine was born 5 March 1846 in Mistelås, Kronoberg County, Sweden and died sometime after 1907. She arrived with her father Andreas in Illinois from Sweden in 1899. When Andreas passed away in 1907, she is named as “Mrs. Christine Anderson of Mayfield.” I’m not sure who she married (if she did marry), or when she died, or if she went back to Sweden after 1907. She had a son, born in 1873 in Sweden, named Anders Göran.
8 thoughts on “Calling all Medine cousins!”
Wow that is a name I haven’t heard for years. Connie and Pam Medine babysat me near Esmond in the 1970s
I am Wanda Medine (Harkness) my grandpa was Carl Medine. My Dad & his siblings have passed away.
Hi Wanda! I’d love to connect with you. I don’t have much information about Carl’s family. Could you please send me an email at email@example.com? I can share with you the information that I have, and you can add to it or correct it. Thanks for reaching out Wanda!
I am the granddaughter of James Medine. My mom was an infant when he was KIA. We have been to Selestat to honor him. My grandma (his wife Norma) is now 93. My Mom (his only child) is now 73. He has 3 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren. Would love to hear from you. My Mom would love this!! Julie
LikeLiked by 1 person
My father’s name is James Albert Medine.
He is from DeKalb County. Please give me more info. My mother’s name was Nora.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I think I can clarify– there were two James Medines living in DeKalb County, and are approximately the same age. They were second cousins. Julie, your grandfather was James Leonard Medine, and born in 1924, and was married to Norma. He was the grandson of Gustaf Medine. Kathy, your father James Albert Medine was born in 1919, and married to Nora. He was the grandson of Peter Medine (Gustaf’s brother). Apparently James was a popular name in the Medine family at that time! I’ve figured this out because newspaper articles in the 30’s and early 40’s would just mention “James Medine,” and I had to figure out which one it was referring to! I hope this helps!
My Dad is Everett Medine his wife is Peggy J Moss
My name is David Medine and Ernst Medine was my grandfather. I have heard that you are in touch with my cousin Nicole Medine but I am also interested in helping your effort. Feel free to contact me any time.